A Brief History Of Chiropractic
The principle of chiropractic was discovered September 18, 1895 by Dr. Daniel Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. On that day, Palmer was in his office carrying on a shouted conversation with the deaf janitor of the building, Harvey Lillard.
Lillard was explaining in shouts to Palmer that about 17 years earlier while working in a cramped, stooped position, something had "popped" in his back Since that time, his hearing had become progressively worse.
Dr. Palmer, a curious, intelligent man, examined Lillard's back and found a painful, misaligned vertebra at the spot where something had "popped" 17 years earlier. He suspected a connection between this misaligned vertebra and Lillard's impaired hearing-and reasoned that if something had gone wrong in his back and caused deafness, the correction of the misaligned vertebra should bring back Lillard's hearing.
Using his hands, Palmer repositioned the vertebra with a gentle thrust. Lillard's hearing improved immediately. In that moment, Palmer made the breakthrough that had eluded the greatest medical minds of all the ages ... he had discovered the cause of nearly all human disease.
During the next few days, Palmer continued the hand treatments on Lillard's spine. Within a week, Lillard was able to hear as well as anybody and was telling anybody who would listen about Dr. Palmer's hand treatments.
Dr. Palmer's fame quickly spread as he proved that the hand treatments were effective in all sorts of disease conditions. He became a world-renowned specialist in the spine and nerve system.
His research into the cause of disease had led him to the conclusion that misalignment of the spinal column interferes with normal nerve function and thus, an alteration of normal body functions.
Pinched Nerves Do Cause Dis-ease
Everyone knows that pinched nerves in a broken back can cause partial paralysis of the legs and that if nerves are severely compressed, complete paralysis results.
Why then do some of us shut our minds to the same pinched nerve probability when (for instance) the lungs, heart, stomach or other parts of the body become diseases? Such thinking is inconsistent.
Lung, heart and stomach conditions need the same consideration that more obvious forms of paralysis receive. Tissue deprived of nerve energy (impulses) cannot maintain health without nerve guidance from the brain.
- Vertebral subluxation always causes the body to work at less than 100% lowering its resistance and ability to adapt to life’s demands causing dis-ease.
- You cannot ever reach your potential in life without regular chiropractic care.
- There are no alternatives to chiropractic care as there are alternatives to medicine or symptom treatment. (Alternatives to the medical approach: acupuncture, nutritional supplementation, herbs, homeopathy, massage and other energy therapies and treatments…)
- Chiropractic can never be an approach to treating disease. (Dis-ease is the effect of the subluxation; the subluxation is the cause of dis-ease leading to disease and chiropractors do not treat symptoms they treat the cause.)
- The innate intelligence of the body can always run it better than the finite educated mind of man.
- I, as a Chiropractor move the bone, and let God do the healing
The truth of these statements will be made known to you over the course of time under chiropractic care.
Subluxation: When one or more of the vertebrae are misaligned, the flow of energy and messages from the brain to the body is altered. This causes disorganization and disease. Subluxations are known as "silent killers", often they go undetected, slowly deteriorating your health.
Adjustment: A specific force applied to one or more of the vertebrae of the spinal column to remove nerve interference and promote the body's natural healing ability.
Health: A state of optimal physical, mental and social well-being not merely the absence of disease or infirmity (symptoms).